[Dspace-tech] Hibernate
Monika C. Mevenkamp
2015-08-24 13:47:53 UTC
I have a 2006 copy of
Hibernate Quickly

Patrick Peak and Nick Heudecker

since the committers will do the heavy lifting of mapping the current DB structure to hibernate, I am mainly interested in getting a good foundation in hibernate style querying

did the query interface stay stable or should I trash this book ?

yes - yes - I know I can go online and yes a good link would be helpful - but for some things I prefer to start out with a book - but i don’t want to waste my time on a prehistoric API

Monika

—
Monika Mevenkamp
Digital Repository Infrastructure Developer
Phone: 609-258-4161
333C 701 Carnegie, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544
Luiz dos Santos
2015-08-24 14:06:02 UTC
Hi Monika,

Do you know each is the version of hibernate will be used? I looked for
it on the https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/pom.xml,
but it is not there yet. I like this book:

http://www.manning.com/bauer3/

The Chapter1 is available on line:

http://www.manning.com/bauer3/JavaPH_meap_ch1.pdf

Best regards
Luiz
Tim Donohue
2015-08-24 15:14:09 UTC
Just as an FYI,

DSpace will be using Hibernate 4.3.10. The hibernate work is "in
progress" and is a subset of a larger API refactoring project, to be
released in DSpace 6. More info at:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Service+based+api

Here's where the "in progress" codebase is (it isn't yet on "master" but
will be merged there once it fully compiles/builds, likely in the next
week or two): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/tree/DS-2701-service-api

- Tim
Post by Luiz dos Santos
Hi Monika,
Do you know each is the version of hibernate will be used? I
looked for it on the
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/pom.xml, but
http://www.manning.com/bauer3/
http://www.manning.com/bauer3/JavaPH_meap_ch1.pdf
Best regards
Luiz
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Monika C. Mevenkamp
I have a 2006 copy of
*Hibernate Quickly*
*Patrick Peak and Nick Heudecker*
since the committers will do the heavy lifting of mapping the
current DB structure to hibernate, I am mainly interested in
getting a good foundation in hibernate style querying
did the query interface stay stable or should I trash this book ?
yes - yes - I know I can go online and yes a good link would be
helpful - but for some things I prefer to start out with a book -
but i don’t want to waste my time on a prehistoric API
Monika
—
Monika Mevenkamp
Digital Repository Infrastructure Developer
Phone: 609-258-4161 <tel:609-258-4161>
333C 701 Carnegie, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544
Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect
DuraSpace.org | DSpace.org | DSpaceDirect.org
Mark H. Wood
2015-08-25 13:32:56 UTC
Post by Monika C. Mevenkamp
I have a 2006 copy of
[http://www.manning.com/peak/peak_cover150.jpg]
Hibernate Quickly
Patrick Peak and Nick Heudecker
since the committers will do the heavy lifting of mapping the current DB structure to hibernate, I am mainly interested in getting a good foundation in hibernate style querying
did the query interface stay stable or should I trash this book ?
yes - yes - I know I can go online and yes a good link would be helpful - but for some things I prefer to start out with a book - but i don’t want to waste my time on a prehistoric API
I've been studying Antonio Goncalves' _Beginning Java EE 6 Platform
with Glassfish 3_ since it has several chapters on JPA. I'm trying to
avoid proprietary Hibernate-isms and stick to JSR 317 as much as
possible, so that we don't get tied down again.

I've also referred to Wikibooks' _Java Persistence_:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Persistence

and to the online Hibernate documentation.
--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library